Items to Purchase
Click here to view print, or edit a list of items you may be asked to purchase in upcoming days and years.
Things you need now:
- Quality cello and bow (where purchased? ___________________________________)
- Case (I recommended hard.)
- Stool or chair of appropriate height (Do an Amazon search for “handy folding stools” for good ideas)
- Rock stop/end pin stop (Strap? Y/N)
- Notebook and pen/pencil for lesson note taking (sample practice chart)
- Bag to hold music items
- Suzuki level 1 (or current level) reference CD or recording
- CD player or other way to play your recording
Things you need soon:
- Rosin (Brand name: _____________________) Note: The cheap rosin encased in wood and plastic that comes with most student celli will get the bow to make sound in the first place, but they are really unsuitable for the type of playing we’ll be doing!
- Polishing cloth (microfiber? Y/N) Soon
- Suzuki book 1 (or current level) cello part
- Suzuki book 1 (or current level) piano accompaniment (optional but recommended)
- Scale Trail Challenge for the Young Cellist by Elizabeth Marsh (I'll give you Elizabeth's number upon request so you can order it.)
Things you won’t need for another 1–3 months:
- Piano/keyboard (at home, electric is okay; $25 from Amazon)
- I LOVE to Read Music!™ Complete Reading Flash Cards (cello) Note: Be sure to select “cello” from the dropdown list; otherwise you’ll end up with violin cards!
- I LOVE to Read Music!™ Music Reading Primer (cello) Note: Be sure to select “cello” from the dropdown list; otherwise you’ll end up with a violin book!
Things you won’t need for at least 3 months and more:
- I LOVE to Read Music!™ Sight Reading for Strings (cello) 3+ months
- Position Pieces for Cello Book 1 by Rick Mooney 1-2 years
- Position Pieces for Cello Book 2 by Rick Mooney 3-4 years
- Thumb Position for Cello Book 1 by Rick Mooney 3+ years
- Thumb Position for Cello Book 2 “Thumbs of Steel” by Rick Mooney 6+ years