Here is a list of books I recommend that directly or indirectly relate to music lessons:
- Nurtured by Love by Shinichi Suzuki
- Practice Revolution by Philip Johnston
- Mindset by Carol S. Dweck
- Make It Stick by Peter C. Brown
- The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg
- Punished by Rewards by Alfie Kohn
- The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo (pretty unrelated to music lessons, but I can’t help recommending it)
I haven’t read these yet, but if you read them, I’ll be extra interested in hearing what you learned.
- Grit by Angela Duckworth
- Unconditional Parenting by Alfie Kohn
Learn and Earn!
If you read or re-read one of these books (or another pre-approved book) and submit a report on the book, I will deduct $50 from your next tuition payment. This book report would include a brief overview of the book, some specific things that stood out to you as interesting, and what you personally plan to change (or not change) consequently. I may also ask to feature your report on the studio website for other students to read.